5 Ways To Take Good Care of Your Smile During the Summer Months
Summer is a time for fun, sun, and plenty of outdoor activities. However, it’s also a time when people tend to neglect their oral health with all the distractions, like barbecues, ice cream treats and chilled sugary drinks to stay cool, so it’s all too easy to forget about taking care of your teeth and gums. But good oral health is important all year-round and unfortunately, neglecting it during the summer months can lead to dental problems down the road.
Summer Oral Health Tips
Here are five tips for maintaining good oral health during those busy summer months!
- Stay hydrated: Staying hydrated is important for your overall health, and it’s especially important for your oral health. Drinking plenty of water can help flush away harmful bacteria, food particles and oral debris that can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. Water can also help keep your mouth moist, which is necessary to prevent dry mouth, a condition that can lead to bad breath and other oral health problems.
- Limit sugary and acidic drinks: Summer is a time for cold drinks, but sugary and acidic drinks like soda and iced coffees and tea are harmful to your teeth. Sugary drinks can lead to tooth decay, while acidic drinks can erode your tooth enamel, leading to sensitivity and other problems. Limit your consumption of soda, sports drinks, and other sugary and acidic drinks, and opt for water or unsweetened tea instead whenever possible.
- Practice good oral hygiene: Good oral hygiene is important all year-round, but it’s especially essential during the summer months when people tend to indulge in sugary treats and acidic foods and drinks (as mentioned). Now more than ever, it is important to brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time, and be sure to floss at least once a day to remove plaque and food particles from between your teeth. If you’re constantly on the go, you might want to carry a travel-sized toothbrush and toothpaste with you so you can brush your teeth after meals and sweet drinks.
- Wear a mouth guard: Summer is a time for enjoying outdoor sports, but playing sports without a mouth guard can lead to accidental dental injuries. A mouth guard can help protect your teeth and gums from injury, whether you’re playing contact sports like football or non-contact sports like skateboarding. Talk to our dentist about recommendations for a mouth guard that will provide the best protection for your healthy smile.
- Schedule a dental checkup: Summer is a great time to schedule your routine dental checkup. These dental checkups are important for maintaining good oral health, and they can help catch dental problems before they become serious. If you haven’t had a dental checkup in a while, you can schedule one today. Our dental team is ready to examine your teeth and gums, clean your teeth and provide you with tips for maintaining good oral health tailored to your personal needs.
Good oral health is important year-round, but it’s especially important during the upcoming summer months. By following these five tips, you can maintain a healthier smile while enjoying all the fun and activities that summer has to offer. Stay hydrated, limit sugary and acidic drinks, practice good oral hygiene, wear a mouth guard, and schedule your next dental checkup. Your teeth and gums will thank you!